Snakebark Maple Acer Davidii Seeds Qing Zha Qi
Easily grown in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils in full sun to part shade. Prefers part shade, particularly in hot summer climates. Also prefers acidic soils that are kept consistently moist. Best performance occurs in cool summer climates such as the Pacific Northwest. Plants do not perform well in the heat and humidity of the deep South.
Acer davidii commonly called snakebark maple or Pere David's maple is a deciduous, somewhat variable, small to medium sized, understory tree that is native to mixed forest areas of central China. It is perhaps best noted for its snake-like bark, unlobed leaves and attractive autumn leaf color. It is part of the Macrantha taxonomic section of maples which consists of trees commonly called stripe bark maple or snake bark maple in reference to their distinctive bark. It is an upright, often multi-trunked tree with arching branches that grows to 30-50’ tall. Smooth, olive green bark is streaked with green and white. Ovate, unlobed (occasionally shallow-lobed), opposite, dark green leaves (3-6" long) have serrulate or doubly serrate margins. Small, inconspicuous, yellowish flowers bloom in pendant racemes (2-3" long) in spring. Flowers give way to small but abundant winged samaras which mature in fall. Excellent yellow to orange to red fall color. This species was discovered in China in 1869 by Jean Pierre Armand David (1826-1900), Jesuit missionary. Macrantha section contains 18 different species of maple, including A. capillipes and A. pensylvanicum.
Genus name is the Latin name for a maple tree.
Specific epithet honors Jean Pierre Armand David (1826-1900).
Potential disease problems include verticillium wilt, leaf spots, tar spot, canker and root rots. Potential insect problems include aphids, scale, borers and caterpillars. Mites may appear.
Uncommonly found in cultivation. Attractive small tree or large shrub for the landscape.
We Guarantee Your Purchases Will Be Delivered On-time and As Described
Quanzhou City, Fujian Province, China
This Store Has Been Open Since Apr 12, 2013
1. When you’ve found a product you like, make sure you check product specifications such as size and color. You can also find more detailed information, such as sizing tables, if you scroll down the product detail page.
2. Some sellers also offer coupons. You can find them in their store and the product detail pages.
3. When you’re ready to place your order, you can click “Buy Now” and continue to the checkout, or you can add the product to your cart first and continue shopping.
4. If you want buy all the items in your cart, simply click “Buy All” to place your order
Note: once the order has been paid, you are unable to change the shipping address. However, you can contact the seller to send him/her any updates.
Share this Product
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh