Siberian Elm Ulmus Pumila Seeds Bai Yu
Grow in average, dry to medium, well-drained soils in full sun. Tolerant of light shade. Prefers rich, moist loams. Adapts to both wet and dry sites. Tolerant of poor soils. Generally tolerant of urban conditions. Freely self-seeds.
Ulmus pumila, commonly called Siberian elm, is a fast-growing, weak-wooded, deciduous tree that typically grows to 50-70’ tall with broad upright habit. In the wild, it is sometimes seen in a shrubby form. It is primarily found in moist soils along streams from eastern Siberia to China. It was once widely planted in the U. S. because of its toughness, rapid growth, ability to thrive under arduous growing conditions and resistance to Dutch elm disease. Insignificant small reddish flowers appear in spring before the foliage emerges. Flowers give way to single-seeded wafer-like samaras (each tiny seed is surrounded by a flattened circular papery wing). Seeds mature in April-May as the leaves reach full size. Elliptic to oblong leaves (to 2-3” long) are smooth dark green above and glabrous beneath, with acuminate tips, serrate margins and nearly symetrical bases. Leaves typically turn an undistinguished dull yellow in fall.
Genus name comes from the Latin name.
Specific epithet means dwarf in reference to the small leaves and sometimes small shrubby habit.
Branches are weak-wooded, brittle and easily damaged by strong winds and winter ice/snow. Resistant but not immune to Dutch elm disease and phloem necrosis. Various wilts, rots, cankers and leaf spots may occur. Elm leaf beetles may significantly damage the foliage. Other insect visitors include borers, leaf miner, beetles, mealy bugs, caterpillars and scale.
Siberian elm is not recommended for landscape use today because of its weak, easily damaged limbs and branches, its susceptibility to numerous insect and disease pests, and its general lack of ornamental interest. It could be effectively grown in poor soils, as a windbreak, or along slopes for erosion control where ornamental features are not an issue.
We Guarantee Your Purchases Will Be Delivered On-time and As Described
Quanzhou City, Fujian Province, China
This Store Has Been Open Since Apr 12, 2013
1. When you’ve found a product you like, make sure you check product specifications such as size and color. You can also find more detailed information, such as sizing tables, if you scroll down the product detail page.
2. Some sellers also offer coupons. You can find them in their store and the product detail pages.
3. When you’re ready to place your order, you can click “Buy Now” and continue to the checkout, or you can add the product to your cart first and continue shopping.
4. If you want buy all the items in your cart, simply click “Buy All” to place your order
Note: once the order has been paid, you are unable to change the shipping address. However, you can contact the seller to send him/her any updates.
Share this Product
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh