Pot Marigold Calendula Officinalis Seeds Jin Zhan Hua
Annual. Easily grown in average, moderately fertile, well-drained soils in full sun. Plants generally appreciate some part afternoon shade in hot summer climates such as the St. Louis area, but become leggy in too much shade. Start seed indoors 6-8 weeks before last frost date or sow directly in the garden just before last frost date. Set seedlings or purchased starter plants out after last frost date. Young plants may be pinched back to encourage compact bushy growth. Deadhead spent flowers to promote additional bloom. If plants begin to languish in prolonged hot summer weather, cut back to promote fall flowering. Plants often will not last the growing season in hot St. Louis summers. May reseed in the garden.
Calendula officinalis, commonly called pot marigold, is a popular annual that is grown in beds and borders for its daisy or chrysanthemum-like bright yellow to deep orange flowers which in cool climates appear over a long summer to fall bloom period. Cultivars expand the available flower colors to include many pastel shades and some bicolors. Single to double flowerheads (3-4” diameter) may have contrasting darker center disks. The species is an Old World potherb and garden plant that was quite popular in England at the time of Shakespeare. It typically grows 1-2’ tall and as wide. Although the flowers and leaves are somewhat bitter tasting, they are edible and may be added fresh or dried to soups, salads or rice dishes for both color and flavor. Aromatic, lance-shaped to oblong-obovate green leaves (to 6” long).
Genus name comes from the Latin word calendae meaning the first day of the month.
Specific epithet means sold in shops. Frequently applied to plants believed to have medicinal properties.
No serious insect or disease problems. Susceptible to powdery mildew. Watch for slugs and snails, particularly on young plants. Aphids and whiteflies are occasional visitors.
Beds, borders, cottage gardens, cutting gardens or pots/containers.
We Guarantee Your Purchases Will Be Delivered On-time and As Described
Quanzhou City, Fujian Province, China
This Store Has Been Open Since Apr 12, 2013
1. When you’ve found a product you like, make sure you check product specifications such as size and color. You can also find more detailed information, such as sizing tables, if you scroll down the product detail page.
2. Some sellers also offer coupons. You can find them in their store and the product detail pages.
3. When you’re ready to place your order, you can click “Buy Now” and continue to the checkout, or you can add the product to your cart first and continue shopping.
4. If you want buy all the items in your cart, simply click “Buy All” to place your order
Note: once the order has been paid, you are unable to change the shipping address. However, you can contact the seller to send him/her any updates.
Share this Product
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh