Pond Cypress Taxodium Ascendens Seeds Chi Shan
Best grown in average, medium to wet, moisture-retentive soils in full sun. Prefers moist, acidic, sandy soils, but actually tolerates a wide range of soil conditions ranging from average moisture soils to wet soils in some standing water.
Taxodium distichum var. imbricarium, commonly called pond cypress, is a deciduous conifer that is native to the coastal plain from Virginia to Florida to Louisiana. It is most often found on the peripheries of ponds and lakes, hence the common name. It is very similar in form and habit to the common bald cypress (Taxodium distichum). Moreover, the two trees share some of the same indigenous areas and reportedly will hybridize in the wild. Pond cypress is generally a smaller and narrower tree, typically rising to 30-70’ tall. Young trees have cylindrical crowns, but older trees develop more flattened irregular crowns. Bark is gray-brown to red-brown. Horizontal to ascending branching. Awl-like, appressed, deciduous leaves are spirally arranged. Foliage turns orange-brown in fall. In comparison to bald cypress, pond cypress trees (1) are somewhat smaller; (2) have appressed, spirally arranged leaves, (3) have root knees that are more rounded, and (4) usually grow on pond margins as opposed to in the water. Some experts consider pond cypress to be a different species, namely T. ascendens. Also commonly called dwarf cypress or hat-rack cypress. Variety name from Latin means overlapping in reference to the foliage.
Genus name comes from the Latin word Taxus meaning yew and the Greek word eidosmeaning resemblance from a similarity of leaf shape.
Specific epithet means is two ranks for the needle arrangement.
Healthy, well-maintained trees in the proper growing conditions usually have few problems.
Good specimen for growing in wet soils either in low spots or near water.
We Guarantee Your Purchases Will Be Delivered On-time and As Described
Quanzhou City, Fujian Province, China
This Store Has Been Open Since Apr 12, 2013
1. When you’ve found a product you like, make sure you check product specifications such as size and color. You can also find more detailed information, such as sizing tables, if you scroll down the product detail page.
2. Some sellers also offer coupons. You can find them in their store and the product detail pages.
3. When you’re ready to place your order, you can click “Buy Now” and continue to the checkout, or you can add the product to your cart first and continue shopping.
4. If you want buy all the items in your cart, simply click “Buy All” to place your order
Note: once the order has been paid, you are unable to change the shipping address. However, you can contact the seller to send him/her any updates.
Share this Product
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh