Luffa Cylindrica Sponge Gourd Loofah Seeds Si Gua
Luffa Cylindrica (Linn.) Roem.
丝瓜 si gua
Luffa Cylindrica (Linn.) Roem., Syn. Monogr. 2:63. 1846. Cogn., l.c. 456; Chakravarty, l.c. 75; C. Jeffrey in Kew Bull. 15(3): 355. 1962; in Fl. Trop. E. Afr. (Cucurbitaceae) 77. fig. 10.1967; R.R. Stewart, l.c.; C. Jeffrey, l.c.
English: Spongegourd, Loofah.
Vern.: Ghia Tori.
S. NAZIMUDDIN AND S. SHAHARYAR H. NAQVI
Luffa aegyptiaca Mill.
Momordica cylindrica Linn.
Momordica luffa Linn.
Annual, climber or trailer. Tendrils slightly pubescent, 3-6-fid. Stem 5-angled, finely hairy to glabrous. Leaves palmately 5-lobed, dark green, orbicular-cordate, 8-25 cm across, lobes triangular, lanceolate, acute-apiculate, entire or sinuate, scabrous. Petiole 5-15 cm long. Flowers bright yellow, pedicellate, 5-6 cm across; male racemose, racemes axillary, 12-25 cm long, 15-20-flowered, female flowers in the same axil as males. Probrract fleshy, ovate, with 3-7 glistening glands on the upper surface. Calyx tube short, broadly campanulate, slightly pubescent; lobes triangular-lanceolate, longer than tube. Petals obovate-cuneiform, 2.5-3.5 cm long, 1-2.5 cm broad, obtuse. Stamens 3-5, filaments 6-8 mm long. Ovary cylindrical, finely appressed hairy. Fruit cylindrical and fusiform, 20-50 cm long, 6-10 cm across, smooth. Seeds dull black, elliptic-ovoid, c. 10-12 mm long, 6-8 mm broad, with c. 1 mm wide margin.
Lectotype: Pepo indicus reticulatus seminibus nigris Herm., Hort. Acad. Lugd.-Bat. Cat. 482 (1637).
Distribution: Distributed in warmer countries of Asia and Africa; cultivated or subspontaneous; introduced in tropical America.
Sponge gourd (Ghia tori) is widely cultivated for its fruits which are used as vegetable. The mature fruit becomes bitter and unpalatable due to hardening of fibrovascular bundles forming loofah sponge which is used by village housewives for scrubbing and cleaning the utencils. Loofah sponges are also used for cleaning motor cars, glassware and for stuffing pillows, mattresses, saddles and shoulder pads. The tender fruit is considered diuretic and its juice is purgative. Mature seeds are bitter, emetic and catthartic.
We Guarantee Your Purchases Will Be Delivered On-time and As Described
Quanzhou City, Fujian Province, China
This Store Has Been Open Since Apr 12, 2013
1. When you’ve found a product you like, make sure you check product specifications such as size and color. You can also find more detailed information, such as sizing tables, if you scroll down the product detail page.
2. Some sellers also offer coupons. You can find them in their store and the product detail pages.
3. When you’re ready to place your order, you can click “Buy Now” and continue to the checkout, or you can add the product to your cart first and continue shopping.
4. If you want buy all the items in your cart, simply click “Buy All” to place your order
Note: once the order has been paid, you are unable to change the shipping address. However, you can contact the seller to send him/her any updates.
Share this Product
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh