Japanese Elm Zelkova Serrata Seeds Ju Shu
Easily grown in average, medium wet, well-drained soils in full sun. Established trees tolerate some drought. Prefers rich, moist loams. Generally tolerant of urban conditions.
Zelkova serrata, commonly called Japanese zelkova, is a medium to large deciduous tree, typically growing to 50-80’ tall with a spreading, generally upward-branching, vase-shaped crown. It is native to Japan, Taiwan and eastern China. It is noted for its graceful shape, clean foliage, attractive bark and resistance to Dutch elm disease. Zelkova has in fact been promoted in recent years as a substitute for American elm (Ulmus americana) because of its resistance to Dutch elm disease. Insignificant small green flowers appear in spring as the foliage emerges. Flowers give way to small, non-showy, ovate, wingless drupes that ripen in autumn. Oblong-elliptic medium green leaves (to 3” long) with coarse, ciliate marginal teeth and acuminate tips. Fall color is variable, ranging from undistinguished yellow to attractive shades of yellow-orange to red-brown. Smooth gray bark in youth exfoliates with age to reveal orange-brown inner bark. Zelkova is valued as a commercial timber tree in Japan.
Genus name may refer to the original Republic of Georgia name (Zelkova carpinifolia is native to the Caucasus).
Specific epithet and additional common name of sawleaf zelkova both refer to the serrated leaf margins.
No serious insect or disease problems. Highly resistant to Dutch elm disease. Phloem necrosis, wilts and cankers may occur. Insect visitors include leaf miner, beetles and scale. Spider mites can be a problem in hot, dry summers.
May be used as a lawn, shade or street tree.
We Guarantee Your Purchases Will Be Delivered On-time and As Described
Quanzhou City, Fujian Province, China
This Store Has Been Open Since Apr 12, 2013
1. When you’ve found a product you like, make sure you check product specifications such as size and color. You can also find more detailed information, such as sizing tables, if you scroll down the product detail page.
2. Some sellers also offer coupons. You can find them in their store and the product detail pages.
3. When you’re ready to place your order, you can click “Buy Now” and continue to the checkout, or you can add the product to your cart first and continue shopping.
4. If you want buy all the items in your cart, simply click “Buy All” to place your order
Note: once the order has been paid, you are unable to change the shipping address. However, you can contact the seller to send him/her any updates.
Share this Product
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh