Japanese Cornelian Cherry Cornus Officinalis Seeds Shan Zhu Yu
Grow in acidic, organically rich, medium moisture, well-drained soils in full sun to part shade. Some afternoon shade is appreciated in hot summer climates such as the St. Louis area. Best performance occurs in cool summer climates. Provide consistent moisture and mulch root zone. Promptly remove root suckers to control spread.
Cornus officinalis, commonly called Japanese cornel dogwood, is native to China, Japan and Korea. It usually grows as a large, spreading, multi-stemmed, deciduous shrub to 15-25’ tall. It also may be grown as a small tree. It is very similar to Cornus mas, except it grows with a slightly more open habit, flowers one week earlier, has more attractive bark and often has brown hair tufts in the vein axils on the leaf undersides. Ovate to elliptic, dark green leaves (to 4 3/4” long). Variable fall color ranges from drab pale yellow to attractive reddish-purple. Yellow flowers appear in late winter to very early spring before the leaves in 3/4” wide clusters (umbels). Flowers are followed in fall by oblong red fruits (drupes) that are technically edible but astringent. Exfoliating bark has tones of gray and brown.
Genus name comes from the Latin word cornu meaning horn in probable reference to the strength and density of the wood. Cornus is also the Latin name for cornelian cherry.
Specific epithet means sold in shops. Applied to plants with real or supposed medicinal use.
No serious insect or disease problems.
Effective in foundations, shrub borders, woodland gardens, bird gardens or naturalized areas. Grow as a hedge. Train as a small tree.
We Guarantee Your Purchases Will Be Delivered On-time and As Described
Quanzhou City, Fujian Province, China
This Store Has Been Open Since Apr 12, 2013
1. When you’ve found a product you like, make sure you check product specifications such as size and color. You can also find more detailed information, such as sizing tables, if you scroll down the product detail page.
2. Some sellers also offer coupons. You can find them in their store and the product detail pages.
3. When you’re ready to place your order, you can click “Buy Now” and continue to the checkout, or you can add the product to your cart first and continue shopping.
4. If you want buy all the items in your cart, simply click “Buy All” to place your order
Note: once the order has been paid, you are unable to change the shipping address. However, you can contact the seller to send him/her any updates.
Share this Product
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh