Early Blooming Lilac Syringa Oblata Seeds Zi Ding Xiang
Easily grown in average, medium moisture, well-drained soil in full sun. Tolerates light shade, but best bloom is in full sun. Prefers organically rich, moist, slightly acidic to slightly alkaline soils with good drainage. Avoid siting in frost pockets where late spring frost may damage the early bloom. This shrub needs good air circulation. Good tolerance for urban conditions. Prompt removal of faded flower panicles before seed set will increase the bloom in the following year. Prune as needed immediately after flowering.
Syringa oblata, commonly called early lilac or broadleaf lilac, is a spreading, multi-trunked, deciduous shrub with arching branches which typically grows 8-12’ tall. It is native to China where it is typically found in woods, thickets, streambanks and along roads.
Dense broad panicles (to 2-5” long) of very fragrant pinkish-lilac flowers (each floret to ½” long) bloom April-May. This species blooms earlier than most lilacs (about 10 days before Syringa vulgaris), hence the common name of early lilac. Flowers are followed by brown dehiscent capsules which persist on the shrub. Opposite, simple, ovate to reniform leaves (to 2-4" long) with acuminate tips and cordate bases emerge in spring with a hint of bronze, mature to dark green/blue green in summer, and finally develop purple-red tinting in fall. Early lilac is the only species of lilac to develop appreciable fall color.
Genus name comes from the Greek word syrinx meaning tube or pipe in reference to the pith-filled but easily-hollowed stems of some genus plants.
Specific epithet comes from the Latin word oblatus meaning flattened at the end in probable reference to the rounded leaves.
Foliage may become infected with powdery mildew by late summer. Leaf-roll necrosis, anthracnose and leaf spot may occur. Potential insect visitors include aphids, caterpillars, borers and scale. Flower buds are susceptible to frost injury in early spring.
Effective as a specimen or massed. Shrub borders, foundations. Good screen or informal hedge for property lines.
We Guarantee Your Purchases Will Be Delivered On-time and As Described
Quanzhou City, Fujian Province, China
This Store Has Been Open Since Apr 12, 2013
1. When you’ve found a product you like, make sure you check product specifications such as size and color. You can also find more detailed information, such as sizing tables, if you scroll down the product detail page.
2. Some sellers also offer coupons. You can find them in their store and the product detail pages.
3. When you’re ready to place your order, you can click “Buy Now” and continue to the checkout, or you can add the product to your cart first and continue shopping.
4. If you want buy all the items in your cart, simply click “Buy All” to place your order
Note: once the order has been paid, you are unable to change the shipping address. However, you can contact the seller to send him/her any updates.
Share this Product
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh