Dove Tree Davidia Involucrata Seeds Gong Tong
Best grown in organically rich, consistently moist, well-drained soils in full sun to part shade. Prefers part afternoon shade in the St. Louis area. May be grown from seed, but it normally takes up to 10 years after planting for a tree to flower, and it may not regularly flower each year thereafter. May not be reliably winter hardy throughout the St. Louis area where it should be planted in a protected location. Davidia involucrata var. vilmoriniana is winter hardy to USDA Zone 5, however, and is generally considered to be a better selection for St. Louis.
Davidia involucrata, commonly called dove tree, is native to woodlands in central China. is a deciduous tree that typically grows 20-40’ tall with a broad pyramidal habit. Red-anthered flowers in rounded clusters bloom in April-May. However the showy parts of the bloom are the large oval-rounded showy white involucre bracts (one 3-4 inches long and the other 6-7 inches long) which subtend each flower cluster. The bracts flutter in the slightest breeze, and, from a distance, purportedly look like white doves sitting in the tree, hence the common name. Flowers are followed by round, greenish-brown, golf ball-sized fruits on 2-3” stems. Toothed, broad oval, red-stalked, bright green leaves (3-6” long) are heart-shaped at the base. Variable fall color ranges from undistinguished dull pastels to bright oranges and reds. Other common names, all in reference to the unique flowers, include handkerchief tree, laundry tree and ghost tree.
Genus name honors Abbe Armand David (1826-1900), French missionary in China, 1862-1873, who collected many plants and animals.
Specific epithet refers to a ring of bracts surrounding a group of flowers.
No serious insect or disease problems.
Specimen landscape tree. In full flower, this tree produces a spectacular bloom.
We Guarantee Your Purchases Will Be Delivered On-time and As Described
Quanzhou City, Fujian Province, China
This Store Has Been Open Since Apr 12, 2013
1. When you’ve found a product you like, make sure you check product specifications such as size and color. You can also find more detailed information, such as sizing tables, if you scroll down the product detail page.
2. Some sellers also offer coupons. You can find them in their store and the product detail pages.
3. When you’re ready to place your order, you can click “Buy Now” and continue to the checkout, or you can add the product to your cart first and continue shopping.
4. If you want buy all the items in your cart, simply click “Buy All” to place your order
Note: once the order has been paid, you are unable to change the shipping address. However, you can contact the seller to send him/her any updates.
Share this Product
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh