Cryptomeria Japonica Cryptomeria Fortunei Seeds Liu Shan
Best grown in moist, rich, fertile, acidic, well-drained soils in full sun. Tolerates light shade. Soils should not be allowed to dry out. Site in a location protected from drying winter winds.
Cryptomeria japonica, commonly called Japanese cedar or sugi, is a slender, pyramidal, evergreen conifer with tiered horizontal branching, which is slightly pendulous at the tips. Japanese cedar is a monotypic genus unrelated to the true cedars (Cedrus). It is native to forested areas in Japan and China where it typically grows as a single trunk tree to 150’ tall (infrequently taller) with an 8’ trunk diameter. It is the national tree of Japan where it is often planted at temples and shrines. In cultivation in the U.S., it grows much smaller, more typically to 50-60’ tall. Sharply-pointed, awl-shaped, fragrant, green to blue-green needles (to 3/4” long) are spirally arranged. Foliage is soft to the touch. Foliage may bronze in cold winters. Spherical fruiting cones (to 1” diameter) appear at the shoot ends. Reddish-brown bark exfoliates in strips.
This is a prized timber tree in its native habitat.
Compact and dwarf cultivars are commonly sold in commerce.
Genus name comes from the Greek krypto meaning to hide and meris meaning a part in reference to the flower parts being hidden.
Specific epithet means of Japan.
No serious insect or disease problems. Leaf blight and leaf spot.
Species trees as a large specimen tree. Screen. Dwarf cultivars make good rock garden plants.
We Guarantee Your Purchases Will Be Delivered On-time and As Described
Quanzhou City, Fujian Province, China
This Store Has Been Open Since Apr 12, 2013
1. When you’ve found a product you like, make sure you check product specifications such as size and color. You can also find more detailed information, such as sizing tables, if you scroll down the product detail page.
2. Some sellers also offer coupons. You can find them in their store and the product detail pages.
3. When you’re ready to place your order, you can click “Buy Now” and continue to the checkout, or you can add the product to your cart first and continue shopping.
4. If you want buy all the items in your cart, simply click “Buy All” to place your order
Note: once the order has been paid, you are unable to change the shipping address. However, you can contact the seller to send him/her any updates.
Share this Product
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh