Cockspur Coral Tree Erythrina Crista-galli Seeds Ji Guan Ci Tong
Winter hardy to USDA Zone 9 where it grows well in moist, sandy, well-drained soils in full sun. Root hardy to USDA Zone 8 (dies back to roots in winter but comes back in spring). Needs a nearly frostless area for best growth.
Erythrina crista-galli, commonly called coral tree or cockspur coral tree, is a spiny South American tree with compound pinnate leaves and crimson flowers. It typically grows as a small tree to 15-20' tall, but may occasionally reach 30' in optimum conditions. It also sometimes grows as an upright shrub. It is native to Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay and Argentina. Trees often develop gnarled trunks with age. Papilionate crimson flowers in loose terminal drooping racemes (to 2' long) bloom in early spring. Up to two additional bloom periods may occur over the period of summer to early fall depending on growing environment. Flowers are followed by seed pods (to 3-8" long) which ripen to brown. Alternate, compound pinnate, dark green leaves, with each leaf having three broad-elliptic leaflets (each to 4-6" long), are attractive throughout the growing season.
In the U.S., this tree performs well in the Deep South (Georgia, Florida, Mississippi and Louisiana), Texas, southern California and Hawaii. It is the National Tree of Argentina, and its flower is the national flower of Argentina and Uruguay. Coral tree is the official tree of the City of Los Angeles, California.
Genus name comes from the Greek word erythros meaning red. A reference to the color of the flower.
Specific epithet means cock's comb in reference to the flowers resembling the comb of a rooster.
No serious insect or disease problems. Watch for twig borers, thrips and nematodes.
Where winter hardy, this is an excellent ornamental flowering tree or shade tree for homes and parks. It is also commonly grown as a street tree. Xeriscape plantings in southern Florida. Potted greenhouse plant where not winter hardy.
We Guarantee Your Purchases Will Be Delivered On-time and As Described
Quanzhou City, Fujian Province, China
This Store Has Been Open Since Apr 12, 2013
1. When you’ve found a product you like, make sure you check product specifications such as size and color. You can also find more detailed information, such as sizing tables, if you scroll down the product detail page.
2. Some sellers also offer coupons. You can find them in their store and the product detail pages.
3. When you’re ready to place your order, you can click “Buy Now” and continue to the checkout, or you can add the product to your cart first and continue shopping.
4. If you want buy all the items in your cart, simply click “Buy All” to place your order
Note: once the order has been paid, you are unable to change the shipping address. However, you can contact the seller to send him/her any updates.
Share this Product
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh