Chinese Tallow Tree Sapium Sebiferum Seeds Wu Jiu
Winter hardy to USDA Zones 8-10. Best grown in moist, well-drained soils in full sun. Tolerates light shade. Plants develop deep taproots that help them tolerate dry soils and drought. Freely self-seeds, and can be somewhat weedy and invasive in optimum growing conditions.
Sapium sebiferum, commonly called Chinese tallow tree, is a small, fast-growing, deciduous tree that grows to 30-40’ tall. It is typically seen in the wild as a suckering, multi-trunked tree with an irregular crown, but can easily be trained in cultivation as a single trunk tree with a rounded crown. Poplar-like, acuminate, medium green leaves (to 3” long) turn variable shades of yellow, orange, red and/or purple in fall. Monoecious yellow-green flowers in catkin-like spikes appear in spring. Flowers give way to three-lobed capsules, each lobe containing one seed. The outer layers of each capsule falls off in fall at maturity revealing three showy seeds covered with a waxy white coating. Seeds contrast well with fall foliage color and usually persist on the tree after leaf drop. In China, the seeds are harvested in fall for extracting vegetable tallow that is used in making candles and soaps, hence the common name. Mature fruit purportedly resembles popcorn, hence the sometimes used common name of popcorn tree. Stems produce a milky sap that is poisonous. Native to China and Japan, this tree has naturalized along the coast from South Carolina to Florida and Texas.
Genus name comes from the Latin name for a resinous pine.
Specific epithet comes from the Latin words sebum meaning tallow and ferre meaning to bear in reference to the seeds.
No serious insect or disease problems. In some U.S. coastal areas this tree is spreading invasively and crowding out native plants.
Lawn specimen, small shade tree, patio tree or screen where winter hardy. In St. Louis, may be grown in containers as a greenhouse plant.
We Guarantee Your Purchases Will Be Delivered On-time and As Described
Quanzhou City, Fujian Province, China
This Store Has Been Open Since Apr 12, 2013
1. When you’ve found a product you like, make sure you check product specifications such as size and color. You can also find more detailed information, such as sizing tables, if you scroll down the product detail page.
2. Some sellers also offer coupons. You can find them in their store and the product detail pages.
3. When you’re ready to place your order, you can click “Buy Now” and continue to the checkout, or you can add the product to your cart first and continue shopping.
4. If you want buy all the items in your cart, simply click “Buy All” to place your order
Note: once the order has been paid, you are unable to change the shipping address. However, you can contact the seller to send him/her any updates.
Share this Product
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh