Chinese Plum Yew Cephalotaxus Fortunei Seeds San Jian Shan
Best grown in moist, sandy, well-drained soils in shady areas of the landscape. Tolerates shady conditions better than most needled evergreens. Tolerates full sun in cool summers, but prefers part shade conditions in areas with hot summers. Plants have good heat tolerance. Established plants tolerate some drought. Plants are not reliably winter hardy throughout USDA Zone 6 where they should be planted in protected locations. Like all members of the genus, plants in the within species are dioecious. If fruits are desired, female plants with at least one male pollinator are required for fruit production to occur. Excellent tolerance for both shade and hot weather make this species an interesting substitute in the southeastern U.S. for yews that usually struggle south of USDA Zone 7.
Cephalotaxus fotunei, commonly called Chinese plum yew, is native to Burma and China. It is a coniferous evergreen that typically grows as a small tree or large shrub to 10' (less frequently to 15') tall. It is most often seen in open-rounded shrub form with spreading and slightly drooping branches. Linear, pointed, yew-like, dark green needles (to 3 1/2" long) extend horizontally from the branchlets. Each needle has two silver-white bands beneath. Reddish brown bark on mature branches exfoliates with age. Olive brown seed-bearing cones (to 1 1/4" long) appear on female plants.
Genus name comes from the Greek words kephale meaning a head and Taxus meaning yew for its resemblance to yews (Taxus).
Specific epithet honors Robert Fortune (1812-1880), Scottish botanist and plant collector, who introduced this plant to Britain in 1848.
Plants in the genus Cephalotaxus are commonly called plum yews because the foliage resembles that of yews (Taxus) and the fruits (fleshy seeds) on female plants resemble tiny plums.
No serious insect or disease problems.
Woodland gardens. Hedge. Accent, group or mass. Excellent evergreen conifer for shady locations in the landscape.
We Guarantee Your Purchases Will Be Delivered On-time and As Described
Quanzhou City, Fujian Province, China
This Store Has Been Open Since Apr 12, 2013
1. When you’ve found a product you like, make sure you check product specifications such as size and color. You can also find more detailed information, such as sizing tables, if you scroll down the product detail page.
2. Some sellers also offer coupons. You can find them in their store and the product detail pages.
3. When you’re ready to place your order, you can click “Buy Now” and continue to the checkout, or you can add the product to your cart first and continue shopping.
4. If you want buy all the items in your cart, simply click “Buy All” to place your order
Note: once the order has been paid, you are unable to change the shipping address. However, you can contact the seller to send him/her any updates.
Share this Product
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh