Chinese Parasol Tree Firmiana Simplex Seeds Qing Tong
Winter hardy to USDA Zones 7-9 where it is easily grown in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils in full sun to part shade. Best in locations protected from strong winds. Best with regular moisture, although established trees develop some drought resistance. Trees will self-seed somewhat aggressively.
Firmiana simplex, commonly called Chinese parasol tree, is a small to medium-sized upright deciduous tree with a rounded crown. It is native to China, Korea, Japan and southeast Asia. It was introduced into the U. S. in the 1850s, and has naturalized over time in the Southeast from Virginia to Florida and Texas as well as in California. It typically grows 30-45’ tall. It is perhaps best noted for its very large, palmately-veined, 3-5 lobed leaves (to 12” across) that are bright green above and pubescent below. Leaves turn an undistinguished yellow in fall. Mildly fragrant, star-shaped, yellowish-green flowers (to 3/4” wide) in long terminal panicles (to 12”) bloom mostly at the twig ends in early summer. Flowers give way to leathery capsules that split open when ripe (autumn) into 4 or 5 sections, each section containing 1 to 3 seeds. Smooth greenish bark on the young branches and trunk is somewhat unusual. Additional common names for this tree are varnish tree (seed pods release a brownish, varnish-like fluid as they open) and phoenix tree (supernatural phoenix bird of Chinese legend perched on Firmiana trees). Synonymous with and formerly called Firmiana platanifolia.
Genus name honors Karl Josef von Firmian (1716-1782), Governor of Lombardy, when that was a province of the Austrian Empire, and a patron of the Padua botanic garden.
Specific epithet is in reference to the simple (as opposed to compound) leaves.
No serious insect or disease problems.
Landscape tree. Near patio. Woodland garden. Shade tree. Street tree (although fruit/leaf litter is messy). Seed pods may be picked for indoor decoration use.
We Guarantee Your Purchases Will Be Delivered On-time and As Described
Quanzhou City, Fujian Province, China
This Store Has Been Open Since Apr 12, 2013
1. When you’ve found a product you like, make sure you check product specifications such as size and color. You can also find more detailed information, such as sizing tables, if you scroll down the product detail page.
2. Some sellers also offer coupons. You can find them in their store and the product detail pages.
3. When you’re ready to place your order, you can click “Buy Now” and continue to the checkout, or you can add the product to your cart first and continue shopping.
4. If you want buy all the items in your cart, simply click “Buy All” to place your order
Note: once the order has been paid, you are unable to change the shipping address. However, you can contact the seller to send him/her any updates.
Share this Product
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh