Black-eyed Susan Vine Thunbergia Alata Seeds Hei Yan Su Shan
Winter hardy to USDA Zones 10-11. In St. Louis, it is perhaps best grown as an annual vine that is replaced each spring. Grow in organically rich, fertile, medium moisture, well-drained soils in full sun to part shade. Best with some afternoon shade. Easily grown from seed sown directly in the garden after last frost date. Start seed indoors 6-8 weeks before last frost date for earlier bloom. Also may be grown in containers that can be overwintered indoors in a warm sun room. Cuttings may be taken from favorite plants in late summer for overwintering.
Thunbergia alata, commonly called black-eyed Susan vine, is native to tropical areas of East Africa. It is a tropical evergreen twining vine that eventually climbs to 20’ in frost free areas. As an annual, it will grow to 3-8’ tall in a single season. Features ovate-triangular toothed green leaves (to 3” long) and solitary axillary salverform orange-yellow flowers (to 2” long) with 5 spreading petal lobes and dark throats. Blooms in summer to fall, but best bloom is often in late summer and fall after the hot summer temperatures moderate. A number of different cultivars are available with white, creamy white, light yellow and sulphur yellow flowers.
Genus name honors Carl Peter Thunberg (1743-1828), Swedish botanist. He travelled in South Africa and Japan and became professor of botany at Uppsala.
Specific epithet means winged.
No serious insect or disease problems. Watch for scale, spider mites and whiteflies on indoor plants.
Trellises, arbors, fences or other structures around the home. Also effective in hanging baskets where the vine can twist around the basket supports or in patio containers with a small trellis or obelisk burried in the container.
We Guarantee Your Purchases Will Be Delivered On-time and As Described
Quanzhou City, Fujian Province, China
This Store Has Been Open Since Apr 12, 2013
1. When you’ve found a product you like, make sure you check product specifications such as size and color. You can also find more detailed information, such as sizing tables, if you scroll down the product detail page.
2. Some sellers also offer coupons. You can find them in their store and the product detail pages.
3. When you’re ready to place your order, you can click “Buy Now” and continue to the checkout, or you can add the product to your cart first and continue shopping.
4. If you want buy all the items in your cart, simply click “Buy All” to place your order
Note: once the order has been paid, you are unable to change the shipping address. However, you can contact the seller to send him/her any updates.
Share this Product
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh