Balloon Flower Platycodon Grandiflorus Seeds Jie Geng
Best grown in light, medium moisture, organically rich, well-drained loams in full sun to part shade. Avoid wet or poorly-drained soils. Plants are easily grown from seed. Division and transplanting are possible but tricky because of the fragile, fleshy root systems of these plants, and it is probably best to leave plants undisturbed once established. Deadheading spent flowers generally prolongs the bloom period. New season plant stems emerge late in spring, so gardeners must be careful not to damage crowns by early cultivation (leaving old plant stems in place throughout winter to the point when the new growth first appears helps mark plant locations). Taller plants often need to be staked because of floppy stems. Consider cutting back plant stems by 1/2 in May to reduce plant height and possibly avoid staking.
Platycodon grandiflorus, commonly called balloon flower, is a clump-forming perennial that is so named because its flower buds puff up like balloons before bursting open into outward-to-upward-facing, bell-shaped flowers with five pointed lobes. Plants are native to slopes and meadows in China, Japan, Korea and Siberia. Purple-blue flowers (to 2-3” across) bloom throughout summer, singly or in small clusters, atop stems typically growing to 30” tall. Ovate to lance-shaped, toothed, blue-green leaves (to 2” long).
Genus name comes from the Greek words platys meaning broad and kodon meaning a bell for the shape of the corolla.
Specific epithet means large-flowered.
No serious insect or disease problems. Root rot may occur in overly moist soils. Watch for slugs and snails.
Rock gardens or border fronts. Containers. Edging.
We Guarantee Your Purchases Will Be Delivered On-time and As Described
Quanzhou City, Fujian Province, China
This Store Has Been Open Since Apr 12, 2013
1. When you’ve found a product you like, make sure you check product specifications such as size and color. You can also find more detailed information, such as sizing tables, if you scroll down the product detail page.
2. Some sellers also offer coupons. You can find them in their store and the product detail pages.
3. When you’re ready to place your order, you can click “Buy Now” and continue to the checkout, or you can add the product to your cart first and continue shopping.
4. If you want buy all the items in your cart, simply click “Buy All” to place your order
Note: once the order has been paid, you are unable to change the shipping address. However, you can contact the seller to send him/her any updates.
Share this Product
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh